Winter has thrown a curve snowball our way in the form of SnowPocalypse 2015. With a predicted 20-30 inches of snow (also known as an actual 6 inches) we are stuck inside. While most are getting ready to plop on the couch to binge watch a TV show while half heatedly attending conference calls, I thought I'd share four of my favorite snowpocalypse inspired strength exercises. And the best part? You don't even need to get out of your pj's! Here's 4 of my favorite ways to workout when you're snowed in:
#1. Wine Bottle Dead Lifts
The key here is to use wine bottles that are full but because we are in Day 2 of the SnowPocalypse, mine are either empty or half empty.
- Slightly bend your knees.
- Hold one wine bottle in each hand.
- Bending from the hips while keeping your back completely straight and flat, slowly bend forward until you are parallel with the ground.
- Slowly return to standing.
Do 1-3 sets of 15-20 reps.
#2. Single Leg Wine Bottle Deadlifts
Stand on one leg and hold the wine bottle by the neck in the same hand as the leg you are standing on.
- Keep the knee slightly bent and bend at the hip, using your opposite leg as balance and keeping your back flat and straight *(DO NOT ROUND YOUR BACK), and bend forward.
- Lower yourself from the hips until you are parallel to the ground and slowly return upright.
Do 2-3 sets of 15-20 reps on each side.
#3. Body Weight Squats
No wine bottle necessary, all you need is your body weight!
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart
- Drive the weight through your heels NOT your toes.
- Ensure your belly stays tight while you keep your chest lifted to keep your spine in line.
Do 3 sets of 15-20.
Planking is everyone's favorite. You know you just kind of plank in place until you just can't plank no more. If you really want to make this one extra special, dip your hips side to side.
Hold for 1 minute and rest for 30 seconds. 3-5 reps.
There you go, four of my favorite snowpocalypse exercises. And you can get some good arm curls in every time you lift that wine glass to your mouth. Keeping it well rounded. Happy snow day everyone, I'm gonna go sledding!
Until tomorrow, #RunSelfieRepeat.